Depression doesn’t care what you look like, what kind of car you drive or how much money you make. We all, are subjected to rough patches in our lives. And sometimes the things we go through can be so unbearable that we find it difficult to find a reason to wake up in the morning. If this sounding familiar to you I want you first to know that you are not alone. I know it sometimes feels like your world is crumbling around you. But I am here to tell you: you are not alone and you will pull through it.
Let’s talk about how we can pull ourselves out of depression naturally. I believe firmly that medications used to treat depression do little to nothing to fix the issue and end up causing more harm to you. While I don’t encourage you to give up medications completely; I suggest that you complement it with these self-treatment methods so that your dependency on them reduce.
Natural Remedies or Self Treatment for Depression and Anxiety:
- Exercise: A funny thing happens when you push your body past the limits that you previously endorphins (affectionately known as “feel good” chemicals). Another positive aspect of pushing your physical boundaries is the confidence gained from those accomplishments. It’s one of my favourite ways of self-treatment to overcome anxiety.
- Meditation: This probably seems like some new age “mumbo jumbo” to you right now. But mindfulness is something that some of the most successful people in the world have attributed to their accomplishments. The beauty of it is, this practice really helps you to understand your worth and where your place in this world is. My experience with mindfulness has really helped me to turn my life around in the past.
- Eating clean: Having a healthy diet may sound like it can’t help you get over bouts with depression, but doctors have state that eating healthy foods, such as high fiber carbohyddrates and lean proteins, stop those junk food cravings. Why does this benefit you when you are feeling blue? Healthy carbs have a calming effect on our brains and lean proteins put us in a more alert state. The combination of these two, while seemingly insignificant, have a profound impact on how we feel throughout the day.
- Go help others: Most of us recognize that we tend to feel good when we help other people. Why not take that knowledge and apply it to defeating depression. Go out to senior citizens home, spend some time talking to them. You can be sure that when you leave, you will have a totally different outlook on where you are in your life.
- Sleep: I know this one can be hard when you are depressed. But if you do these other things throughout the day, your body will be taxed by night fall. Rest is essential in allowing our brains, and bodies, to process what happened throughout our day and recover from it.
Call to Action
Pulling ourselves out of depression can be a daunting task for sure, and I do not want to minimize the things that you are going through. But the fact is, there comes a point when we have to decide to force ourselves to live again.
It is time to get up, reclaim what is yours. Put your life back together piece by piece.
I am not saying it will always be easy, in fact, there will be times where it is nearly unbearable. Sometimes you won’t feel like going to the gym, sometimes you won’t feel like going out and enjoying the day. But those are the moments it is most crucial for you to get up and live again. These would be crucial to your self treatment remedies.
Some things that helped me when I was down
Song: Good Day
Just for you:
“I know it hurts now, and I know it will hurt tomorrow. But I implore you, pull yourself up, do whatever it takes, and force yourself to be happy again.”